FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FormsAPI Master V3.0 32/64bit (Feedback/Support)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FormsAPI Master V3.0 32/64bit (Feedback/Support)
    Posted: 27-May-2013 at 5:37am
FormsAPI Master V3.0 64bit and 32bit is close for release - the long wait will soon be over.

There are still a couple of things i want to get done before releasing it to the public. However, if you have an urgent need for the 64bit version now then please send me an email to get access to an early stable development release!

The official FormsAPI Master V3.0 beta will launch in June, with the final release coming out soon after. 

Regards,
Stefan
mshannon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2013 at 8:28am
That is great news !

Congratulations.

I am eagerly waiting for the upgrade !
Mike Shannon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2013 at 5:50am

The long wait is finally over. FormsAPI Master V3.0 Beta has been released as 32bit and 64bit versiion. Customers have been waiting along time for the Forms11gR2-64bit support and finally it's here!

Script engine breaking changes
The script engine had to be replaced (didn't get the old engine to work under stable under 64bit) but thankfully there aren't many breaking changes that would cause problems porting scripts from V2.0 to V3.0. Porting the collection of demoscripts only required changes in about 4 scripts and all of them have been minor:

• datatypes : the new scripting engine only supports number / varchar2 / datetime / boolean / variant as base datatype. The "char" datatype will have to be replaced with the varchar2 type in scripts!
  • variants that have been used for OLE-Automation (using winword/excel/etc) still exists. but in order for variants to have invokable methods/properties the new "ComVariant" datatype has to be used (see the new ole_winword/ole_excel demo scripts!)
  • Customers that have used external units (to move commonly used code outside the main script) will need to add a "uses orcl;" line in the unit. The "ORCL" unit contains all the helperfunctions/classes and it looks like the new scripting engine doesn't automatically add this global library to all source code units in a project. I expect to have this fixed in one of the upcomming versions. But till then you got to use the "uses orcl;" workaround as shown in the unit_tutorialinc.p2s script.
  • Inline procedures/functions can no longer be declared inside a function declaration. Workaround is to move them from before "begin" keyword to after (so that the function declaration is inside the begin..end code. Looks strange but works. I expect to have that problem solved in the near future.

Probably there will be one or two other minor problems creeping up when the new script engine will get tested against a vast collection of scripts written by customers. But so far i am very pleased with the new engine.

New PL/SQL grammar

The new script engine architecture also allowed me to easily change some of the grammar. What this means is that many things have now become much more similar to PL/SQL grammar (while still keeping the old PASCAL grammar intact and supports). Following things are now possible:

• procedure declarations are now 100% pl/sql compatible. The "IN OUT NOCOPY" keywords are supported as in "procedure MyProc(p_test IN varchar2 DEFAULT 'abc') IS BEGIN NULL; END;".
  • function declarations are also 100% pl/sql compatible, with the RETURN keyword as in "function MyFunc(p_test OUT varchar2) RETURN boolean is begin return true; end;"
  • for-loops also got implemented : "for i IN REVERSE 1..10 loop begin null; end;" - please note that the "begin..end" is still as in pascal and that the "loop ... end loop" syntax still won't work. There are technical reasons for that - i can't implement the loop..end loop without breaking compatibility to older scripts. Currently the "for x in .." loops also don't create an implicit variable by that name (an explicit variable is still required.

Plans for the near future

I still have some entries on my todo-list of things that i want to have implemented before the final release of V3.0 officially goes out. Lot's of small stuff, but also some bigger items such as: 

• script debugger (with step in/out/over and breakpoints, variable watches and callstacks)
  • Unit wizard (it's one of those features that is very handy but so far hasn't been much used by customers)
  • begin .. exception ..end syntax should be doable to be implemented
  • code folding and background-compilation would be useful features.

This about sums it all up - if you encounter any issues or have any suggestions of features that would be useful then please contact me and let me know!

Regards,

Stefan

Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2013 at 5:52am
Forgot to mention the download links in the post above, here they are: 

http://www.orcl-toolbox.com/downloads/FormsAPIMaster30b424.exe             (32bit for Forms5.0,6.0. 6i, 9i, 10g, 10gR2 and 11gR1/R2 32bit)

If you encounter any issues then please let me know as soon as possible!

Regards,
Stefan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 9:26am
A new build of FormsAPI Master has been released:

3.00.0425 18-July-2013 (*Beta*)
  logadd isn't keeping the log-statistic updated! 
  global, remember mainform window size
  PowerSearch, ignored *.txt/*.sql/etc files, only fmb/rdf were searched!
  Added startup check for parentheses in installation path (which causes sqlnet issues when connecting to database)
  global, added contextmenu to pin/unpin/remove/open location in explorer/etc to recently used files/dirs.
  Support drag&drop files into the start screen (and open it with script/explorer/compare)
  Editor-gutter only showed linenumbers as 3 digits and truncates anything above
  global, filenames with spaces triped the RCU list
  PowerSearch, dropping/recreating API context every 127 modules to avoid memory issues

http://www.orcl-toolbox.com/downloads/FormsAPIMaster30b425.exe             (32bit for Forms5.0,6.0. 6i, 9i, 10g, 10gR2 and 11gR1/R2 32bit)

If you encounter any issues then please let me know as soon as possible!

Regards,
Stefan
hervouet.st View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hervouet.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2013 at 5:38am
Hi,
I'm trying to use an old script made in V2 with the new version and I can't launch it.
The instruction "LogParamScreen" has been replaced by "T_ParamScreen.LogParamScreen" for example.

Is there any way to know all the functions removed and the new way to code the scripts (for example the instruction "Result" for returning the value of a function instead of the name of the function) ?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2013 at 10:31am
Interesting, i thought i added the TParamScreen.LogParamScreen() change to the "WhatsNew.txt" file, but can't find it. That one is indeed a breaking change that should have been better documented. Thinking about it i might actually better add the function back again in the next version (but mark it as deprecated)/

On this page here there are a couple of other issues to look for:

Most changes aren't breaking (lot's of builtin-functions got some added optional parameters, etc) and most existing old v2.0 scripts should run just fine (see WhatsNew.txt for more info). I only had to change some minor things in about 3 or 4 scripts of my demo script collection to make them run.

But as you noticed, the new script engine i used has a couple of slight changes in grammar as well as functionality. Returning any values inside a function by functionname is something i never used personally (it's valid pascal syntax though), so its the first time i heard about it being an issue ... the v2,0 version was always using the "RESULT := xxx;" for that. The V3.0 is supporting that "RESULT:=xxx;" syntax as well as the more pl/sql like "RETURN xxx;" syntax (please note that "result:=" does not abort the execution of the function, where as "return xxx;" does jump out of the function.

One issue i am aware of that hasn't been documented/mentioned anywhere yet is a change of how v3.0 works with arrays. There is some changes in how the very often used "setlength" function now works (to change the size of an array). Array variables now have methods like setlength/peek/pop/swap/add/remove/sort/map/etc) which makes working with arrays a lot easier and pleasant. 

Regards,
Stefan
mshannon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 5:16am
V3.0 64bit

I am unable to convert and fmb to xml using batch converter.

Error message: 

Exception:  Conversion failed!  temporary-filename could not be renamed to target-filename#1:  Operation Fail
Mike Shannon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 10:45am
Mike,

Can you please download http://www.orcl-toolbox.com/downloads/FormsAPIMaster30b429dx64.exe and give that version a try? It will still tell you the conversion failed. But i am curious what the new exception message now says. 

Also, before running the test, can you copy the file to a local directory with just that file in it and have a look if the conversion tool actually creates any new file in that directory?

Regards,
Stefan
mshannon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 11:04am
No change.

Directory has no other file than original fmb.  gl260.fmb

( Exception: Conversion failed temporary-filename [ z:\mike\gtas\test\gl260_fmb.xml ]
could not be renamed to target-filename [ z:\mike\gtas\test\gl260.xml] #1 : Operation Failed )
Mike Shannon
kristof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 3:24am

Hello,

I have problems running an existing script with V3.
I get an error when calling API_SetFormsPath:
     ┌┤Exception [Exception] - Variable "Result" not found
     │ Raised at [lin:44|col:7]
     ╘══► Code:[API_SetFormsPath('K:\centric\Isa\Forms10');]

This works fine with version V2.

Regards,
Kristof.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Stefan Mueller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 10:17am
Kristof,

The Set_FormsAPIPath procedure has indeed had a bug. 

I uploaded a temporary fixed version, please download build 430 again from  www.orcl-toolbox.com/downloads/FormsAPIMaster30b430.exe !

Regards,
Stefan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic